Monday, October 19, 2009

Modest Sphinx Moths...


First off, these are not my photos, they are my Dad and Stepmother Jane's photos, but I thought they were so neat I wanted to show them off!
I was having a hard time identifying theses moths so I looked around online and found a blog called, The Marvelous in Nature, by Seabrooke. Here's the web address:
She was very helpful in finding out what these moths are and here is what she said.
"Hi Jennifer,The moths on your dad's porch were Modest Sphinx, Pachysphinx modesta. You can read a bit more about them at this BugGuide.net page: http://bugguide.net/node/view/19817 They're a mating pair, something you don't often get a chance to see. What a neat encounter!Thanks for visiting the blog!Best,--Seabrooke"
So thanks Seabrooke for all your help!
I just wanted to post them on here for you all to see. I thought they were pretty awesome! They are bigger than any moth I usually see!!!!


4 comments:

  1. Unique! I've not seen them mating. That's a great capture, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is only in the last few years that I've seen moths as just as beautiful as butterflies. This pair is so snowy white and furry! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete